[gmx-developers] team communication tools for GROMACS

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:19:00 CEST 2015

> On 02 Oct 2015, at 16:00, Szilárd Páll <pall.szilard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I personally think that starting to use a collaborative platform by severely restricting who can participate partly defeats the purpose of the new tool. Such a restriction will severely limit the possibilities for interaction with new people. Whatever we choose, I think it's crucial to allow wide participation with as low barrier as possible while ensuring that the features code-devs want are well-supported.

Have a look at the slackin plugin; even with the unlimited free version you would need to register users, but this plugin seems to make it really easy to automate that. I’m not sure if that works for guest users, though.

I expect all commercial/supported services are roughly equivalent in the sense that the free version will be limited, and the obvious way of doing that is to limit archival and storage. In that perspective we’ll likely have to choose - either we accept that we won’t have much history or file storage, or we’ll have to limit the named/permanent accounts to active contributors.

Cheers,

Erik