[gmx-developers] interesting read: exascale w/o threads

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 13:04:22 CEST 2015

"We believe that portions of the HPC community have adopted the point of
view that somehow threads are “necessary” in order to utilize such
[manycore/SMP] systems, (1) without fully understanding the alternatives,
including MPI 3 functionality, (2) underestimating the difficulty of
utilizing threads efficiently, and (3) without appreciating the
similarities of threads and processes. This short paper, due to space
constraints, focuses exclusively on issue (3) since we feel it has gotten
virtually no attention."

http://www.orau.gov/hpcor2015/whitepapers/Exascale_Computing_without_Threads-Barry_Smith.pdf

--
Szilárd