[gmx-developers] interesting read: exascale w/o threads

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Thu Oct 8 13:36:15 CEST 2015

Interesting read. The essential message is:
"Thus, we believe that a discussion on threads versus processes boils
down to “shared everything by default” versus “shared nothing by default”.
We came to the same conclusion in a discussion some time ago. So the
choice doesn't affect performance, but it strongly affects the code.
For Gromacs I think it's still convenient to have processes+threads,
since we have many data structures with many small arrays that change at
domain decomposition time that are needed by all threads in a domain.
Sharing all these through MPI3 is tedious.

Cheers,

Berk