[gmx-developers] Easy Access to MDrun Functions

c3633 c3633 at cup.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 10 11:01:53 CEST 2016

Hi Gerrit,

I actually didn't include to much detail on the theory in the original
e-mail, because the questions were more about the technical stuff. So
here is a briefer description of what we're doing:

We're calculating wavepacket dynamics on a precalculated potential
energy surface that should include all intramolecular interaction, to
which a time-dependant Ehrenfest-Potential from the surrounding
environment is added. Since every point on this surface corresponds to
an arrangement of atoms in real space, the added Potential is equal to
the solute-solvent interaction energy of that particular arrangement at
each time-step, which can be easily calculated in gromacs at each
time-step for each surface point.
For a time independent potential, see these publications: J. Chem.
Theory Comput., 2015, 11 (5), pp 1987–1995 or
http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4941600.
If you want to gain a effect of the solute on the solvent, you also
calculate the forces (in addition to the potential energies) for each
point at each time step and propagate the molecules classically with the
density-weighted sum of the forces while constraining the solute
appropriately, to exclude the movement already treated with quantum
mechanics, which i also would like to do using gromacs functions.

I hope that clarifies my original questions.
Best,
Martin.