[gmx-developers] planned upgrades of requirements and infrastructure

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 15:34:34 CEST 2016

Hi devs,

For GROMACS 2017, at http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/2012 we've discussed
updating some of the minimum requirements for building GROMACS (details
there, TL/DR we will adopt cmake 3.4.3, and (at least for now) gcc 4.8.1
and CUDA 6.5). That should reduce development and maintenance friction
quite a bit, get rid of some hacky work-arounds, and we anyway want users
to use recent compilers for faster simulations.

Stefan will also plan and execute an upgrade of Jenkins to
https://jenkins.io/2.0/ which transforms pipelines into a first-class
entity, which looks like a great fit for how things have been evolving.
(Obviously we'll have backups and then check all the old plugins still work
like they promise they will, etc.) He'll let you know when to expect any
downtime/issues.