[gmx-developers] Ideologically biased quotes

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 7 13:44:11 CET 2016

On 12/7/16 7:40 AM, Berk Hess wrote:
> On 12/07/2016 01:27 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
>> On 07/12/16 13:19, Erik Lindahl wrote:
>>> ... and a couple of other things I've thought about, but not acted on yet:
>>>
>>> 1) Should we remove all non-English quotes (Maybe German/French is OK
>>> too)? Gromacs has become a large and international project, and since I
>>> don't think it would be very productive to add quotes in another ~20
>>> small languages, maybe we shouldn't have any Swedish ones either.
>>>
>>> 2)  Avoid jokes that depend too much on context (i.e., having been at
>>> the talk) such as dropping a letter. While it might be fun to remember
>>> for the few who were there, most other users probably won't understand
>>> why it's fun.
>>>
>>> 3) We have some historical quotes from rock music that I think we should
>>> keep, but for new ones I'd suggest we hold them to the same standard as
>>> other quotes - i.e., they should be related to
>>> science/engineering/programming.
>>>

>> As said let's not reiterate the whole discussion again. Maybe the time for
>> quotes is over in the post-factual world and we can just remove them altogether.
> Isn't the post-factual world all about quotes?
>
> I like the quotes, since they often make me laugh, so I (and several colleagues
> I know of) would not like to see them go. I don't know about the community at
> large though.
> I don't have strong opinions on rules, apart from avoiding self-censorship.
> Erik's suggestions sound reasonable to me.

I agree.  I like them, and I know several people that certainly find them funny
and make using GROMACS enjoyable and unique.

The move from binary to plain text was motivated, in part, due to the previous
discussion on charged quotes - people can edit out anything they don't like
(yay, flexibility!) and we got rid of a few that consensus dictated were perhaps
poorly received.  The fact that the quotes are now in a source file, requiring
the user to completely re-compile the code rather than edit a simple text file
has somewhat raised that barrier.  Obviously good from a software perspective,
perhaps not so good from a user perspective.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629