[gmx-developers] Ideologically biased quotes

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Dec 7 13:40:29 CET 2016

On 12/07/2016 01:27 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 07/12/16 13:19, Erik Lindahl wrote:
>> ... and a couple of other things I've thought about, but not acted on
>> yet:
>>
>> 1) Should we remove all non-English quotes (Maybe German/French is OK
>> too)? Gromacs has become a large and international project, and since I
>> don't think it would be very productive to add quotes in another ~20
>> small languages, maybe we shouldn't have any Swedish ones either.
>>
>> 2)  Avoid jokes that depend too much on context (i.e., having been at
>> the talk) such as dropping a letter. While it might be fun to remember
>> for the few who were there, most other users probably won't understand
>> why it's fun.
>>
>> 3) We have some historical quotes from rock music that I think we should
>> keep, but for new ones I'd suggest we hold them to the same standard as
>> other quotes - i.e., they should be related to
>> science/engineering/programming.
>>

> As said let's not reiterate the whole discussion again. Maybe the time
> for quotes is over in the post-factual world and we can just remove
> them altogether.
Isn't the post-factual world all about quotes?

I like the quotes, since they often make me laugh, so I (and several
colleagues I know of) would not like to see them go. I don't know about
the community at large though.
I don't have strong opinions on rules, apart from avoiding
self-censorship. Erik's suggestions sound reasonable to me.

Cheers,

Berk