[gmx-developers] Building GROMACS 5.1/2016 with OpenCL on NVIDA CUDA 6

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri May 13 01:57:53 CEST 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Vedran Miletić <rivanvx at gmail.com> wrote:

> > clEnqueueWaitForEvents has been changed to  clEnqueueBarrierWithWaitList
> in
> > OpenCL 1.2, but we do have both cases handled:
> >
> http://redmine.gromacs.org/projects/gromacs/repository/revisions/release-5-1/entry/src/gromacs/mdlib/nbnxn_ocl/nbnxn_ocl.cpp#L329
> >
> > So AFAICT you could be using a header that's OpenCL 1.2, but the old
> > libOpenCL.so from NVIDIA.
>
> Indeed [1], and this affects all the users of Debian 8 that use the
> packaged CUDA.

That seems to be a broken setup; the API needs to be compatible with the
libraries in the repo, so they need to provide a library that's v1.1 (or
perhaps even nvidia's own lib if

> Can I somehow force OpenCL 1.1 to be used, i.e. forcefully undefine
> CL_VERSION_1_2? I tried -U parameter but this does not work [2].

As far as I know you can only do that in the code with #undef. We could
manage internally our own CL_VERSION something like it's done with the PTX
version in CUDA (gpu_utils/cuda_arch_utils.cuh) and somehow work around the
Debian issue, but it would be good to know how widespread this is and
whether perhaps there is a better user-side solution.

--
Szilárd