[gmx-developers] Questions for clean Gerrit submissions

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 00:53:06 CEST 2017

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 12:31 AM, Eric Irrgang <ericirrgang at gmail.com> wrote:

>  * can/should Gerrit and Jenkins handle git submodules
>    and be configured to `git pull --recurse-submodules`
>    so that we don't have to include potentially useful supporting
>    libraries in draft commits?

This far we haven't, and I don't think we should. To the extent that we can
use optional libraries, the detection of such libraries on the system (and
being able to disable them) is an important part of the configuration
(which should be tested) rather than always building them ourselves. Linux
distributions are also picky that they don't want us to bundle a library on
Gromacs, but we should use the system packaged version.

Be warned that we are restrictive even with optional libraries, and
exceptionally restrictive with hard dependencies - mostly because we've
repeatedly seen that people are happy to add them, but then they don't do
the work of supporting it when there are problems - and finally we have to
kill them a few years later. The first requirement is that it should be
tested on all normal platforms (including Windows & OSX) and that there is
a collective will to support it.

 * Is there a Gromacs convention for dealing with unused
>    parameters in polymorphic methods to avoid compiler warnings
>    and potential waste?

"gmx_unused" is available, but don't go overboard with it. If you start to
need it for more than a single parameters the method/class should probably
be split into something simpler instead.

>  * is there a way to keep uncrustify from wanting to mangle brace
>     construction in constructor initializer lists? e.g. uncrustify wants
>     to do this:
> MyClass() :
>     a_ {nullptr},
> b_ {},
> c_ {
>     &b_
> },

I don't think it should if you use the patched version by Roland - there
are quite a few initializer constructs in the source where everything is on
one line.

Cheers,

Erik
--
Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at gmail.com>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm