[gmx-developers] plans for beta phase

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 13:03:49 CET 2017


Update: there's quite a few fixes been made - thanks to everybody for
testing, discussion, fixing and review. Several are still waiting at
one in releng repo). Those Redmine issues that people have said they're
working on for the second beta are at
if you have not updated your target versions for issues you are working on,
please do so, so that people know what is going on.

Since I'm currently in Australia, I'll let everyone finish working on stuff
today, and ship the second beta first thing in the morning. Technically
that might still be Dec 5 in Hawaii or so ;-)


On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 3:46 AM Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>

> Hi developers,
> As you've probably seen, we've made the first beta release of GROMACS
> 2018, which we plan to ship before the new year. Please do help us dogfood
> things by building the code on your local machines and trying out your
> favourite simulations - the core developers test a lot of things, but we
> need people to try things that are our outside of our brain space, too!
> We'll be making a TODO list for things we want to have done to test the
> code before we make the final release, so watch this space.
> I've just made the release-2018 branches in both the source and
> regressiontests repositories. Those are open for general bug fixing. If
> there's patches currently on master branch that should go into the 2018
> release, please cherry pick them across (e.g. using the nice button Gerrit
> provides). Shortly, I will make the Jenkins jobs that verify the 2018
> branch, also. Fixes made on release-2018 will show up in master branch via
> a merge commit in the usual way.
> We will make updated beta releases weekly based on whatever is currently
> on the HEAD of release-2018. If you want a bug fix to be in the next beta,
> please help organize to get the fix made and reviewed. The role of the
> release manager is to ship code that's in good shape, not to shepherd every
> known issue to be resolved before shipping.
> I'll ship the next beta on Tues Dec 5, unless we decide there's something
> more important we want fixed and out there sooner!
> Release-2016 is also open for bug fixing, but effectively immediately it's
> moving to mode where we fix in that branch only bugs that a likely to lead
> to wrong science. That branch will stay open for about a year for such
> fixes, and closed around the time of GROMACS 2019. Fixes in it will be
> appear in release-2018 branch via merges in the usual way.
> Release-5-1 needs one final release (which I promised a while back), as
> there's one significant bug fix that's a bit delayed. I'll do that in a
> week or two, just in case we discover things while we're testing now. Then
> it will be closed permanently, and the Jenkins configurations archived.
> Technically master branch is now back open for general GROMACS work, but
> many of the key people will be fully occupied with testing and fixing for
> some weeks yet!
> Mark
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://maillist.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-developers/attachments/20171205/364eb11e/attachment.html>

More information about the gromacs.org_gmx-developers mailing list