[gmx-developers] plans for beta phase

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 01:13:57 CET 2017


Update: I'll ship what we hope is the third and final beta in ~24 hours, so
please get your final fixes in and reviewed. There will be a release
candidate shortly after that.


On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:32 PM Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>

> Hi,
> Update: I've been wrestling multiple infrastructure problems most of the
> day; chiefly that bs_nix-amd decided to stop behaving reasonably for
> reasons unknown.
> The proposed gromacs-2018-beta2 tarball failed some of the pme unit tests
> with icc 18 in double on bs_mic (
> http://jenkins.gromacs.org/job/Release_workflow_master/123/execution/node/88/log/?consoleFull),
> so I propose that we ask Aleksei to reconsider some of those tolerance
> changes, and I'll ship the beta whenever that's sorted. I'll be available
> to do that in 12+ hours time, which hopefully can line up well.
> If there's other fixes on release-2018 ready to submit, please go right
> ahead, I'll rebase the version-bump commit on that when we have the above
> handled.
> Thanks!
> Mark
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:03 PM Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Update: there's quite a few fixes been made - thanks to everybody for
>> testing, discussion, fixing and review. Several are still waiting at
>> https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/q/status:open+project:gromacs+branch:release-2018 (plus
>> one in releng repo). Those Redmine issues that people have said they're
>> working on for the second beta are at
>> https://redmine.gromacs.org/projects/gromacs/issues?fixed_version_id=69&set_filter=1&status_id=o -
>> if you have not updated your target versions for issues you are working on,
>> please do so, so that people know what is going on.
>> Since I'm currently in Australia, I'll let everyone finish working on
>> stuff today, and ship the second beta first thing in the morning.
>> Technically that might still be Dec 5 in Hawaii or so ;-)
>> Mark
>> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 3:46 AM Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi developers,
>>> As you've probably seen, we've made the first beta release of GROMACS
>>> 2018, which we plan to ship before the new year. Please do help us dogfood
>>> things by building the code on your local machines and trying out your
>>> favourite simulations - the core developers test a lot of things, but we
>>> need people to try things that are our outside of our brain space, too!
>>> We'll be making a TODO list for things we want to have done to test the
>>> code before we make the final release, so watch this space.
>>> I've just made the release-2018 branches in both the source and
>>> regressiontests repositories. Those are open for general bug fixing. If
>>> there's patches currently on master branch that should go into the 2018
>>> release, please cherry pick them across (e.g. using the nice button Gerrit
>>> provides). Shortly, I will make the Jenkins jobs that verify the 2018
>>> branch, also. Fixes made on release-2018 will show up in master branch via
>>> a merge commit in the usual way.
>>> We will make updated beta releases weekly based on whatever is currently
>>> on the HEAD of release-2018. If you want a bug fix to be in the next beta,
>>> please help organize to get the fix made and reviewed. The role of the
>>> release manager is to ship code that's in good shape, not to shepherd every
>>> known issue to be resolved before shipping.
>>> I'll ship the next beta on Tues Dec 5, unless we decide there's
>>> something more important we want fixed and out there sooner!
>>> Release-2016 is also open for bug fixing, but effectively immediately
>>> it's moving to mode where we fix in that branch only bugs that a likely to
>>> lead to wrong science. That branch will stay open for about a year for such
>>> fixes, and closed around the time of GROMACS 2019. Fixes in it will be
>>> appear in release-2018 branch via merges in the usual way.
>>> Release-5-1 needs one final release (which I promised a while back), as
>>> there's one significant bug fix that's a bit delayed. I'll do that in a
>>> week or two, just in case we discover things while we're testing now. Then
>>> it will be closed permanently, and the Jenkins configurations archived.
>>> Technically master branch is now back open for general GROMACS work, but
>>> many of the key people will be fully occupied with testing and fixing for
>>> some weeks yet!
>>> Mark
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://maillist.sys.kth.se/pipermail/gromacs.org_gmx-developers/attachments/20171218/acf10cac/attachment.html>

More information about the gromacs.org_gmx-developers mailing list