[gmx-developers] free energies on GPUs?

Igor Leontyev ileontyev at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 22 10:05:02 CET 2017

Hi.
I am having hard time with accelerating free energy (FE) simulations on
my high end GPU. Not sure is it normal for my smaller systems or I am
doing something wrong.

The efficiency of GPU acceleration seems to decrease with the system
size, right? Typical sizes in FE simulations in water is 32x32x32 A^3
(~3.5K atoms) and in protein it is about 60x60x60A^3 (~25K atoms).
Requirement for larger MD box in FE simulation is rather rare.

For my system (with 11K atoms) I am getting on 8 cpus and with GTX 1080
gpu only up to 50% speedup. GPU utilization during simulation is only
1-2%. Does it sound right? (I am using current gmx ver-2016.2 and CUDA
driver 8.0; by request will attach log-files with all the details.)

BTW, regarding how much take perturbed interactions, in my case
simulation with "free_energy = no" running about TWICE faster.

Igor