[gmx-developers] Gerrit, Jenkins and website back up

Vedran Miletić vedran at miletic.net
Thu May 18 18:20:46 CEST 2017

On 03/22/2017 01:50 PM, Mark Abraham wrote:
>     Related: need better SEO for the new site and especially the
>     generated documentation sites needs attention. Repo-generated pages
>     takes ages to crawl up in ranking and deploying a new set of pages
>     for every patch release ruins ranking. As a result, most of the
>     google top hits tend to be from the old wiki, old manual pages or at
>     best v5.1 documentation pages.
>

> Pages generated from the source repo should be those which match the
> source version being documented. They are thus exactly those for which
> we do not want to target high SEO for general queries. The SEO
> optimization targets are generally the WordPress pages.
>
> Googling "gromacs documentation" and "gromacs 5.1 documentation" do
> exactly the intended job - return at first rank the page most specific
> to the query (2016 is a bit strange, google seems to have latched onto
> the beta2 page). We do not want "gromacs performance", "gromacs MPI",
> "gromacs umbrella sampling" or "how to make mdrun fast" searches
> returning at high rank a repo-generated page that matches e.g the 2016.2
> release. A brief and general page on e.g. mdrun performance makes sense
> for users (and SEO), but it should direct users on to pages with
> whatever details they actually want, rather than itself containing
> everything that was ever relevant to the topic. :-)
>
> Mark

Just had an idea today regarding SEO. How about we do what Sphinx, the
creator of the tool we use, does: http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/
is the link to the latest stable documentation, but versioned
documentations are also available at e.g. http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/1.1/

On the technical side, a (periodically updating) symlink on the web
server would suffice, no need for funky webserver rewrites.

V.

--
Vedran Miletić
vedran.miletic.net