[gmx-developers] high-precision TIP3P parameters?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat May 27 10:47:57 CEST 2017

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM Igor Leontyev <ileontyev at ucdavis.edu>
wrote:

> Hi,
> It is unlikely that inaccuracy in 4th digit of the parameters could
> introduce significant error in simulation results.
>
> However, for the energy comparison and debugging which is often made by
> curious people (including myself) when switching between Amber and
> Gromacs codes the inaccuracy is really bothering. Accepting suggested
> correction will match Amber and Gromacs code energies and make the
> comparison perfect (possibly for the cost of one time issue with
> regression test).

True, but also makes GROMACS different from past versions of itself, which
also would worry people doing such a comparison when e.g. contemplating
upgrading their version. We're all for doing things correctly, but that
should mean everybody actually implementing the published/accepted value,
not agreeing with each other on how to be different.

It sounds like we're happy enough to change the values in GROMACS to match
the paper - can people please raise the issue/question with others who
distribute parameter sets?

Mark