[gmx-developers] gerrit guide

Joe Jordan e.jjordan12 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:31:55 CEST 2018

My two cents would be that it would be better to port than link. The feel
of the gerrit page is very 2004. Additionally it could benefit from having
the example code snippets code highlighted in the currently standard code
boxes. I personally had a hard time when I was starting developing figuring
out how to work with gerrit and uncrustify, so I think these sections could
also use some copy editing that I would be happy to contribute to.

As a constructive example,

git clone ssh://*USER*@gerrit.gromacs.org/gromacs.git

git remote set-url origin ssh://*USER*@gerrit.gromacs.org/gromacs.git

git remote add upload ssh://*USER*@gerrit.gromacs.org/gromacs.git

scp -p *USER*@gerrit.gromacs.org:hooks/commit-msg .git/hooks/

could be one (line numbered) code block with text explaining each line.
This way users could copy it directly into a script to run whenever the
want to fetch a new gromacs source instance.

As for uncrustify, it would be helpful both to mention that uncrustify is a
script in the admin folder that you can run, since I (and one other newbie
I talked to) had a hard time figuring this out. It could also be good to
have a code listing and explanation of the actual uncrustify command that
gerrit runs, in addition to a code listing for how to fix uncrustify errors
using reformat_all (which is currently lacking).

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Eric Irrgang <ericirrgang at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to either port
> http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Git/Gerrit or link to it from
> the (new) "Contributing" section of the Developer Guide.
>
> I remember some discussion about the sorts of documentation that
> should live in the repository versus somewhere else, and I think the
> upshot was that things like advice on using Gerrit don't belong in the
> primary repository, but I could be misremembering because
> Understanding Jenkins Builds is in there.
>
> So my thought is to at least link to the old content in
> Developer_Guide/Developmen-time_tools/Change_management and in
> Developer_Guide/Contribute_to_GROMACS
>
> My question is whether to link to the old content or port that page to
> the new dev-manual. Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-developers_List before posting!

Joe Jordan