[gmx-developers] Transition to Gitlab

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 18:35:09 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 5:19 PM Schulz, Roland <roland.schulz at intel.com>
wrote:

> But this requires that the branch can be fast-forwarded and not just that
> it's conflict free (like our current setup) right? This is equivalent
> This means that we will require much more manual rebasing in the future
> prior to merging because it is required even if there is no merge conflict.

Yes, I recognize that nomenclature, so that's probably it. On the other
hand, since it's a choice per-change we can always choose to merge
somethings as patch chains instead. Some things will likely hurt a bit, and
this might very well be one of them.

However: Unless we have a volunteer stepping forward and offering to first
fix all the outstanding issues we have with Gerrit+Jenkins+Redmine, improve
performance and then keep supporting it for everyone else, sticking to our
current setup is not an alternative.  We need something drastically simpler
to maintain.

Cheers,

Erik
--
Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at dbb.su.se>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm