[gmx-developers] gmx_fft_2d_real() output size

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 17:56:55 CEST 2019

Hi Peter,

All our FFTs employ the same standard output formats as used by e.g. FFTW
and and MKL, so for the full documentation it's probably easiest to read
there.

Short story: All values are stored as proper real+complex parts (i.e., 2
real values), so depending on input size the output array might be larger.
For in-place R2C transforms that usually means padding (but not
out-of-place ones).

Cheers,

Erik

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:36 AM Peter Kasson <kasson at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Hi developers,
>   The doxygen docs are a little ambiguous on gmx_fft_2d_real(), and the
> source doesn't offer much clarification because we're wrapping external
> libraries.  Given a real-to-complex 2D FFT on a grid of size x by y, is the
> output a complex grid of size x by y also?  There are comments about
> in-place FFT (which I'm not doing) taking a 5*4 real array and writing a
> 5*2 complex array.
>
> (The context of this is trying to compute power spectra for an analysis
> routine.)
>
> Thanks,
> --Peter

> * Please search the archive at
> posting!

Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at dbb.su.se>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm
University
Science for Life Laboratory, Box 1031, 17121 Solna, Sweden