[gmx-developers] gmx_fft_2d_real() output size

Peter Kasson kasson at virginia.edu
Sat Aug 10 16:36:05 CEST 2019

Hi developers,
  The doxygen docs are a little ambiguous on gmx_fft_2d_real(), and the
source doesn't offer much clarification because we're wrapping external
libraries.  Given a real-to-complex 2D FFT on a grid of size x by y, is the
output a complex grid of size x by y also?  There are comments about
in-place FFT (which I'm not doing) taking a 5*4 real array and writing a
5*2 complex array.

(The context of this is trying to compute power spectra for an analysis
routine.)

Thanks,
--Peter

Peter Kasson, MD, PhD
Associate Professor
Departments of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics
and of Biomedical Engineering
University of Virginia