[gmx-developers] Multiple time step in gmx 2021

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Mon Feb 8 09:16:47 CET 2021

Hi,

This is more of a users question, so for the forum, but I'll answer here
anyhow.

I realize now that I forgot to add a section on MTS to the manual (I had
planned to do this before the release). The algorithm is standard
r-RESPA. The word "efficient" refers to the implementation. My original
goal was to replace the GROMACS virtual site setup with 4 fs time-step
with MTS where only bonds and angles are evaluated every 2 fs, but that
turns out to lead to instabilities with the Amber, and likely also
Charmm, force field that occur infrequently (every few 100 ns).

Cheers,

Berk