[gmx-developers] Virtual site live review tomorrow

Pascal Merz Pascal.Merz at Colorado.EDU
Wed Feb 10 20:01:35 CET 2021

Hi Erik,

I see that I formulated my email a bit imprecisely. I mentioned in the telco earlier today that I will spend some time before the live review to see if there are things that can be separated into separate commits (with future bisection in mind). But I’m convinced that it makes sense to review them together. Whether this ends up being several MRs or one MR with non-squashed commits is up for discussion.

Also, I am certainly willing to take responsibility for the change. I am reasonably confident to do so since before this change, we had almost no test coverage of virtual sites (except for a few regression tests) - at the level that some virtual site types were introduced, but could not be run because the rest of the infrastructure was never updated to allow for additional types. The change introduces unit and end-to-end tests, while not breaking any of the regression tests that were present. The current change also fixes several issues: The virtual site positions were slightly wrong in some cases, the virtual velocities ranged from totally wrong to slightly wrong to “correct by chance”.

I am fully aware that there might be additional issues, but I am also confident that I am leaving the code in significantly better shape than it was before.

Best,
Pascal