[gmx-developers] Virtual site live review tomorrow

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:32:26 CET 2021

Hi,

Unfortunately I have zero time the next two weeks.

My main worry with these large changes is not the first-time review (which
indeed can be done with a live review), but that we've had several such
large changes cause subtle bugs with potentially devastating results for
other simulations - and apart from the fact that it's take a while to
notice them, it's also taken a while to find when it's something that was
part of a large change.

In particular the ~700 changed lines in vsite.cpp appears to be a mix of
general cleanup and a couple of different changes - so I don't quite see
how it's *impossible* to separate those into something more manageable.

So, just remember that it's not merely a matter of believing the code path
you focus on works, but that the ~700 lines won't have side effects on any
other code paths, and that large changes going in also means writing a
blank check to rapidly look into any future bugs that are bisected to that
change ;-)

Cheers,

Erik

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:12 PM Pascal Merz <Pascal.Merz at colorado.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> The virtual sites MR at
> https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/merge_requests/979 is rather large,
> but cannot easily be split into smaller MRs. It should be reasonably easy
> to review with a bit of guidance, however, since the large majority of line
> changes are documentation, tests, and repetitive changes.
>
> To that end, Mark and I will have a live review session of the change on
> Feb 11, 9am MST / 5pm CET. If someone else would like to jump on to help
> the review, I would very much appreciate it! I think that we should be able
> to keep it around 30 minutes, but it all depends on how many issues we find
> :) We’ll meet at https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/94868986659.
>
> Thank you,
> Pascal

> * Please search the archive at
> posting!

Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at dbb.su.se>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm
University
Science for Life Laboratory, Box 1031, 17121 Solna, Sweden