[gmx-developers] How to obtain the element of an atom?

Lorién López Villellas lorien.lopez at bsc.es
Thu Feb 11 19:17:08 CET 2021

Hi.

One the possible solutions (there are atomic numbers stored in the
> gmx_mtop_t)

I think we can work with that. Thanks!

But that would make the algorithm work only for proteins. Why not do the
> numbering based on bond connectivity?

We have two versions of the algorithm, a sequential one that works with any
molecule and a parallel one that, as you say, only works with proteins. The
parallelization of the algorithm is based on the structure of the peptide
chain. The numbering we use is extremely specific; each amino acid bond
must always have the same index. The reordering algorithm needs to identify
each of the molecule bonds precisely. We have not found a way to achieve
that without using the additional information that the atoms' element
provides.

Regards,
Lorién

http://bsc.es/disclaimer