[gmx-developers] How to obtain the element of an atom?

Lorién López Villellas lorien.lopez at bsc.es
Tue Feb 16 17:19:05 CET 2021

Hello again.

As Dmitry suggested, we have been working with the *gmx_mtop_t* data. So
far, it seems that it is what we needed.

However, we are having some trouble with the *iatoms* structure (
*idef->il[F_CONSTR].iatoms* in *Constraints::Impl::setConstraints()*). We
are currently testing our algorithm with the GROMACS-Lysozime tutorial (the
md-simulation part). The *elements_iatoms.txt* file attached contains
*iatoms* and each atom element when calling to setConstraints(). We see
some weird bonds:

   - Bond 1938, which is part of a cysteine amino acid (let us call it
   amino acid x), connects atom 1910 (carbon) with atom 1913 (sulfur), forming
   a C-S bond, which is just right.
   - Bond 100, connects atom 98 (sulfur) with atom 1913 (the sulfur atom of
   amino acid x). As far as I know, a connection S-S is not even possible in a
   peptide-chain.
   - The bond that should connect atom 1913 with a hydrogen atom does not
   exist.

What is weird is that almost every bond makes sense, except some bonds like
the ones shown below. As this structure is used in SHAKE, I guess we are
doing something wrong.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,
Lorién