[gmx-developers] Some heavy GitLab issue reorganisation / cleanup - more work to do

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 08:14:21 CEST 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 3:13 AM Schulz, Roland <roland.schulz at intel.com>
wrote:

> Some of the issues are really just questions whether this should happen or
> not (e.g. https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues/3888).
> Instead of creating an issue, should we ask on this mailing-list? Or what
> is the recommended way to ask whether the community wants to see a specific
> MR?

Just my opinion, but I think the key is that we need to be a bit flexible
and find strategies that means we get to closure (pun intended) on issues
:-)

For trivial stuff it's probably easiest to just create a MR, and unless
people really dislike it, it will go right in.

For larger things I think the issue tracker (with thumbs up/down) works
great for votes, but then we might want to aim for a setup where we post
about that vote on the list and tell everyone they author will  submit a MR
(or close it) based on the poll results in e.g. 10 days.

I would like to reduce the amount of issues that stay open indefinitely, so
we might want to be more careful about initiating votes for things we don't
intend to contribute ourselves (feature requests from users is of course a
different matter!)

I'll see how many of these suggestions we can get in a new issue template
:-)

Cheers,

Erik
--
Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at dbb.su.se>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm

Note: I frequently do email outside office hours because it is a convenient
time for me to write, but please do not interpret that as an expectation
for you to respond outside your work hours.