[gmx-users] error in GMXRC (fwd)

Ben Simons ben at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Fri Aug 17 07:46:28 CEST 2001

> I've managed to compile gromacs without the mpi option.
> I think there's a few typo's in the GMXRC file created.

Actually, I've tried the various different shells, and none
of them except tcsh work properly. I normally use zsh. I suspect
the developers must use tcsh...

eg.

% source GMXRC
UX:csh: SV=0: complete - Command not found
UX:csh: SV=0: complete - Command not found
UX:csh: SV=0: complete - Command not found
UX:csh: SV=0: complete - Command not found
UX:csh: SV=0: complete - Command not found
UX:csh: SV=0: complete - Command not found
UX:csh: SV=0: complete - Command not found
:
:

IMHO, it's been to keep this script SIMPLE - it's just not worth
having a "clever" script which can tell which shell you are running.
Especially when it doesn't work. There are too many "shell tricks"
going on in there to know how to "fix" it for any given shell. eg.
if I fix it for zsh, do I then break it for csh!?!

For my 2-cents, I would recommend different (simple) scripts to
source for each shell-variant. That way as a sys-admin I don't
need to wade through irrelevant code.

cheers,
ben.
Ben Simons                              Physics Building, A28,
VisLab Systems Manager               The University of Sydney.
Phone +61-2-9351-5900                    NSW. AUSTRALIA. 2006.
Fax   +61-2-9351-1880           http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/

``They [pig-footed bandicoot Chaeropus ecaudatus, now extinct]
  are very good eating, and I am sorry to confess that my
  appetite more than once over-ruled my love for science.''

     - Gerard Krefft. Director of The Australian Museum 1857.
       pp.252 The Explorers, edited by Tim Flannery.