[gmx-users] Problems with XTC Files

Peter Tieleman tieleman at ucalgary.ca
Thu Dec 6 17:47:47 CET 2001

I think this is what Anton is referring to:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>

void main(int argc,  char *argv[]) {
    int f, out;
    int value;
    int res;
    char buf[1024*32];
    if (argc!=3) {
        fprintf(stderr, "usage: %s <filename> <rescue file>\n", argv[0]);
    }
    f = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);
    if (f == -1) {
        perror("couldn't open file");
    }
    lseek(f, 2287*66000, SEEK_SET);

    while (read(f, &value, 4) == 4 && value != 1995) {
        ;
    }
    printf("postion %ld \n", (long)tell(f)-4);
    out=open(argv[2], O_WRONLY | O_CREAT, 0666);
    write(out, &value, 4);
    while ((res = read(f, buf, 1024*32)) > 0) {
        write(out, buf, res);
    }
}

I've used it on SGI's but I think there will be endian problems if you use
this on a linux machine. Maybe it's just the value of 1995 that changes?

Peter