[gmx-users] Re:[gmx-users]compilation arror on SGI Octane2

Oliver Beckstein oliver at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 17:21:49 CET 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Markus Metz wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I should add, that Fortran and C compilers are installed.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Markus,
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to compile Gromacs 3.0 on an SGI Octane2 with the operating
> system IRIX 6.5.12.
> The installation of fftw libraries has been successful.
> But when I am running ./configure to install Gromacs I get the following
> error message:
> checking for C compiler default output ... configure:error: C compiler
> cannot create executables
>
> I ran the following command:
> setenv CPPFLAGS -I/usr/include
> setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/lib
> ./configure

Sorry, no solution, only a suggestion what might happen: I think the
compiler (or rather the linker ld) cannot create a file 'a.out' -- the
default executable name when one doesn't give the -o option to cc.

./configure tries to do the same thing and complains if it cannot
create a.out.

To verify this try to compile helloworld.c:
--
#include <strings.h>
int main () { printf("Hello Universe!\n");  return 0; };

with

 cc helloworld.c

It should create a.out, but probably this fails and so the ./configure
script hangs at an early stage.

It happened to me on a DEC alpha with nfs mounted directories (from an
VMS box...).

cc helloworld.c

gave the error

ld: Can't link l.out to a.out (Permission denied)

My solution was to compile on a local disk or something nfs mounted
from somewhere else.

Oli

Oliver Beckstein    *    oliver at bioch.ox.ac.uk