[gmx-users] problem configuring gromacs

Erik Lindahl E.Lindahl at chem.rug.nl
Fri Nov 30 17:49:12 CET 2001

Geraudis Mustelier wrote:

> I am treating to install gromacs 3.0.5 in PC machine (Pentium III 500MHz
> SDRAM 256 MB) with linux Suse 7.0 (i386) installed. But, running the
> ./configure obtain the following errors:
>
> checking whether as fully supports intel syntax... no
> configure: error: Upgrade to a more recent binutils (or disable assembly
> loops).
>
> I have previously installed the package binutils from file
> binutils-2.10.91.0.2.tar.gz that appear in gromacs home page, and appear
> that all is ok. I use the standard installation procedure for binutils. So:
>  ./configure => make => make install  (is that correct?)

Oops. Forgot to forward my reply to the list when I sent it to Geraudis...
Here's a shorter version of it:

The most probable cause is that you installed in /usr/local/bin, but the old
files are still present in /usr/bin, and that location comes earlier in your
path.
Make sure the place you install to comes at the beginning of your path, and
check the version of binutils with

as --version

Cheers,

Erik