[gmx-users] princ and rotate

K.A. Feenstra Feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Wed Aug 21 10:41:35 CEST 2002

Chris Shaw wrote:

> Hi all ,
>
> I am trying in vain to use rotate and princ to align my helices
> along the x, y, z axes. I am also doing a similar operation
> with a lipid bilayer so that the bundle of helices is in the
> right orientation with respect to the bilayer. Could anyone who
> has used these please help and if poss point me in the right
> direction with regards to command line options.

editconf -princ -f in -o out

will orient your helix in file in.gro with its long axis along x,
and shortest axis along z. However, what you consider long and short
might differ slightly from editconf's opinion: large extended side
chains (e.g. lysine, arginine) might give significant differences.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"               |
|        | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                                   |