[gmx-users] Re: Energy is not conserved

Vishal Vaidyanathan vvishal at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 5 06:29:29 CET 2002

Hi,
  We ran some simulations of a water box (the one provided with gromacs)
in the NVE ensemble (no temperature or pressure coupling) and found the
energy to fluctuate wildly.

  After discussions with Erik Lindahl, the problem was quite simply solved
by correcting grompp for the rlist > rvdw and rlist > rcoulomb errors. As
the manual says rlist SHOULD be 2 to 3 angstroms larger than rcoulomb or
rvdw when using coulombtype = shift or coulombtype = cut-off. This solved
our energy conservation problems.

  I think nstlist = 1 is overkill. Try playing with rlist/rcoulomb values
first. nstlist = 1 simply makes rlist superfluous.

  Hope it helps,
								Vishal