[gmx-users] Simulated Annealing

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Wed Feb 13 11:32:56 CET 2002

Periole Xavier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the temperature is expressed in K ... - 1000 theorically doesn't
> exist.
> I wouldnt be suprised that the problem comes from the negative
> cinetic energy your generate a t=0.
>
> Try zero_temp_time = 0
>
> By the way you have to make another minimization before the
> simulated annealing to get the (approximated) 0 K temperature.

No, you have things mixed up. zero_temp_time sets the *time* at which
the temperature would be zero. z_t_t=-1000 would have your simulation
be 0K at t=-1000ps, and ref_t K at t=t_init ps. The actual reference
temperature for the simulation goes along the straight line through
these points. This is conceptually a bit involved, but IMHO it is
clearer than providing a heating or cooling rate in K/ps.

See also the FAQ (it has two example temperature 'graphs')
"Why do I get very strange temperatures in simulated annealing?":
http://www.gromacs.org/faq/index.php#temp

By the way, there is no intrinsic problem in generating a -1000K
velocity distribution: all velocities will simply be negative, i.e.
pointing the 'other' way which doesn't matter since they're random
anyway... ;-) Physically, ofcourse, that doesn't correspond to a
-1000K ensemble of atoms... :-O

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ __________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                           |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam   |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands  |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610              |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR      |
| |    | | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands       |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton  |
|  \__/  | "Sisters Have Always Fascinated Me" (Speech)             |