[gmx-users] saving traj of one atom...

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Tue Feb 26 12:34:49 CET 2002

Erik Lindahl wrote:

> Giorgos Karvounis wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I want to run a simulation of , lets say 20 ps, 10000 steps but because
> > i'm only interested in the coordinates and velocities of one atom , e.g.
> > atom 330 from SOL,
> > i dont want to save the rest due to luck of disk space...Is it possible
> > to do that?
> >

> Hm.. usually we don't need the velocities (are you sure you do?) for
> analysis, so I don't think it's implemented for the .trr files, but for
> .xtc trajectories you can just create a group and select that for output in
> the .mdp file.
>
> It's close to trivial to implement the same functionality in the .trr
> files, but the danger is that these partial files aren't enough to continue
> a run since they do not contain all velocities!

It also sounds like you (Giorgos) are going to store a frame each time
step. In that case I would say the velocity is obsolete (you can get it
back from the difference between subsequent positions, obviously), so
you could simply use the xtcgroups option.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "Art For Arts Sake, Money For Gods Sake" (10 CC)          |