[gmx-users] trying to install

nesanfor at criba.edu.ar nesanfor at criba.edu.ar
Sat Jan 5 01:42:26 CET 2002

Hello:
    I'd dowloaded the gromacs-3.0.5 and I am tryin to install it. In the
./configure step it reports that the binutils are obsolete. So I
dowloaded the bintuils-2.10.91.0.2.tar.gz from the installation page (by
the way, the link to binutils-2.10.91.0.2-3.rpm in that page is
broken).  I installed  that binutils (./configure+make+make install)
sucesfully.  When I tried once again to install... the same report about
obsolecense appreared....:(
    I downloaded the binutils-2.11.2.tar.gz from I don't remember where:
with the same result.
    I tried to install an older version of gromacs (3.0.3): the same
result....
    I updated my kernel to 2.4.17!! (it seems to have nothing todo
but... new year-new kernel)... gromacs configure process continues
shouting about old binutils
the files resulting from binutils installation are:

/usr/local/bin
*add2line   1268133
*ar              1188377
*as             1735945
*c++filt        167957
*gasp           216155
*gprof         1454532
*ld               1866900

/usr/local/lib
  libbfd.a      3235674
*libbfd.a              650
  libiberty.a   518094
  libopcodes.a 291978
*libopcodes.la      662

 the fft libs are already installed

Everything seema to be OK but... don't works.

I thank in advance for your answer.

NESTOR EDGARDO SANCHEZ FORNILLO
Instituto de Fisica de Liquidos y Sistemas Biologicos
                         IFLYSIB
 59 #789
La Plata
Argentina