[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users digest, Vol 1 #298 - 11 msgs

Lynne E. Bilston l.bilston at unsw.edu.au
Wed Jul 3 02:00:52 CEST 2002

Vishal,

Try checking the temperature in your machines. I had a few crashes like
this when my dual athlons were running too hot (AC was accidentally being
switched off at night).

-Lynne
At 06:14 PM 2/07/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 01:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Vishal Vaidyanathan <vvishal at stanford.edu>
>To: gmx users list <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: [gmx-users] mdrun_mpi crashes for no apparent reason
>
>Hi,
>   I am using mdrun_mpi from release 3.1.4 and I am facing the following
>problem: the program stops executing and crashes without warning or error
>to stderr or log. This does not seem to be a simulation issue since
>resuming the run from the last frame works fine.  There are no LINCS
>warnings or errors. I get several hours to 1-2 days of runtime before a
>crash.
>
>   Any ideas why this could be happening? Seems to be some technical issue
>rather than a simulation problem.
>
>   System:
>           SMP dual athlons, Suse linux 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-64GB-SMP
>           LAM MPI, lam-6.5.4-usysv.1, from gmx webpage
>           fftw packages from gmx webpage
>
>           Everything was installed from the rpm's provided
>
>   I'm using MPI only for processors on the same board - ie. nothing should
>really be depending on the network, so I don't think it's a networking
>issue either. And there's ample disk space.
>   Sometimes while using tpbconv to resume, I get a SIGSEGV when it reads
>the last frame of the trajectory (no incomplete frame warning, just
>SIGSEG). Have to use the -time option to resume in that case. But
>mosttimes I get the "incomplete frame" warning and tpbconv exits normally.
>
>   Has anybody else noticed such behaviour? It's hard to guess what's wrong
>because there's absolutely no error message...
>
>   Any suggestions are welcome.
>
>   Thanks,
>                                                                 Vishal

Lynne E. Bilston, PhD
Senior Scientist, Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, and
Conjoint Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South
Wales
Barker St, Randwick, NSW 2031 Australia
Tel: +61-2-9382-7924	Fax: +61-2-9382-2643