[gmx-users] NVE simulations

Sidney Elmer sidnasty at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 9 00:49:05 CEST 2002

I tried starting the NVE simulation from the last snapshot from the
equilibrated NVT ensemble and I still got the same results (ie, the total
energy relaxes to it's minimum value).  I just wanted to emphasize that I'm not
concerned about what the temperature is doing; whether it falls to 0 or goes
through the roof isn't as much of a concern to me as the Total Energy falling
to it's minimum value.  It should be a constant energy simulation (and of
course it will have fluctuations due to the discrete time steps used by the
integrator), but the total energy is not constant.

I should give some context as to why I want a constant Energy simulation.  I am
using a model for Carbon Tetrachloride solvent and I am using a rigid model
using Shake to constrain all distances between carbon-chlorine and
chlorine-chlorine atoms.  Since everything is rigid, I would like to increase
the time step.  Since the root-mean-square-deviation of the total energy in a
microcanonical ensemble is proportional to the time step, I would like to run
several simulations, using different time steps to see just how large I can
make the time step before I run into problems.  It's a simple little exercise.
But since the total energy is not constant when I run without temperature or
pressure control, I'm concerned if there may be a bug or if I'm missing
something in my parameter file that will cause the total energy to remain
constant.  Here is my .mdp file as an attachment.  Thanks for your help on this
matter.

Sid

PS.  I also received an email for Dr. van der Spoel, that the total energy
should remain constant without temperature or pressure control and no
cut-offs.  I tried running with no cutoffs, but grompp gave me errors that I
could only run without cutoffs if I disables periodic boundary conditions.  I
need pbc, so is there any other way I can run without cutoffs using pdc?  Maybe
cutoffs are the problem that the energy is not constant????  I'd like to check
it out.  Thanks again.