[gmx-users] NVE simulations

David L. Bostick dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Tue Jul 9 01:02:42 CEST 2002

Hi Sid,

I believe Dr. van der Spoel was speaking of using ewald methods rather than
a cutoff for the electrostatics.  So instead of just employing a cut-off
for your non-bonded potentials (vdw and coulomb) you can use the following
sort of options:

;Neighbor Searching
nstlist                 = 10
ns_type                 = grid
pbc                     = xyz
rlist                   = 0.9
;
;
;Electrostatics and VDW
coulombtype             = PME
rcoulomb                = 0.9
rvdw                    = 0.9
fourierspacing          = 0.20
pme_order               = 6
ewald_rtol              =1e-5
optimize_fft            =yes

This is what I use for my simulations.  If you are employing pbcs for a
bulk liquid like CCl4 then you are right .. you need pbcs, but PME offers a
drastic improvement for electrostatic treatment.  I would also suggest
starting the simulation at a smaller time step.  If you are using lincs or
shake to constrain bonds and so forth you may be able to work up to a large
timestep, but try to equilibrate the system at a smaller timestep first..
say .002 ps.  Right now, I see from your mdp file that you are using a 10
fs timestep.  This is huge!! .. generally speaking.  Also, the energy will
be conserved better using a smaller time step (an effect of simple
integration like the verlet algorithm) so you can get an idea of
what the total energy should be.  I would say that if you are sure your
initial configuration has the correct total density, you should try
simulating for at least a few hundred picoseconds before moving on to a
larger timestep.  The convergence of the total energy should happen before
you make any other moves.

David

David Bostick					Office: 262 Venable Hall
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy			Phone:  (919)962-0165
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics
UNC-Chapel Hill
CB #3255 Phillips Hall				dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Chapel Hill, NC 27599	           		http://www.unc.edu/~dbostick