[gmx-users] SGI-O2-IRIX6.5-Compile-Problem:Almost there...

Patrick Ladam ladam at smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr
Mon Mar 4 22:44:51 CET 2002

Hi again,

Thank you Erik, Anton and David for your answers, thanks to you I have made
progresses and
am almost done compiling GMX 3.1.
As a reminder, I have F77 and G77 installed and at some point the configure
script was creating
Makefiles with optimisation options for F77 when I wanted to compile using GCC.
I could get rid of this problem using your recomandations, here is what I did:

1) make distclean
2) setenv CC gcc
   setenv F77 g77
   setenv CFLAGS "-O3 -Wall"
   setenv FFLAGS "-O3 -Wall"
3) ./configure --disable-fortran

This worked perfectly until the final linking step where the linker refuses to
mix n32 (the
Gromacs objects) with the o32 Math Library (a generation gap problem,
probably...).
So I tried to indicate GCC to create o32 objects in different ways:

    a) adding -o32 or -32 to the CFLAGS and FFLAGS variables. This leads to a
"unknown options"
        message. So this must not be the correct place for the -o32 option.
    b) setenv LDFLAGS  "-o32" (or "-32"). Known option but I get back the
message complaining
        about mixing o32 and n32 objetcs.
   c) modify the /etc/compiler.defaults file indicating -o32 instead of -n32
followed by a reboot.
       Still the same message about o32/n32 incompatibility.
    d) setenv SGI_ABI "-o32" (this supposedly overrides the -o32 default too).
Result as in c)...

I feel I am not far... If you have any idea, I would greatly appreciate.

ThanX again

| Patrick LADAM                   |                               |
| Laboratoire CSSB                |     THE BIG BANG THEORY:      |
| UFR SMBH                        |                               |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin            |   In the begining there was   |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX             |        nothing at all.        |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<<             |                               |
| ladam at smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr |      Then, it exploded...     |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85     |                               |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77             |                               |