[gmx-users] binary distro for platforms other than linux?

Bert de Groot bgroot at gwdg.de
Mon Mar 4 17:11:08 CET 2002

Hi,

Patrick Ladam wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Thank you Erik, Anton and David for your answers, thanks to you I have made
> progresses and
> am almost done compiling GMX 3.1.

to prevent (some of) these problems it might be a good idea to have binary
distributions for some of the more common platforms? I can understand that
the core developers don't want to spend time on this, and actually they shouldn't:
it would be much better that they spend their time on actual development. But perhaps
it would be possible to create a section on e.g. the gromacs ftp server where
other users could occasionally upload a binary version of gromacs that they compiled
on their favourite OS? I could volunteer and supply SGI and DEC/alpha versions
from time to time. The only drawbacks that I can see are lack of organization
and lack of support, but if we all take care and do NOT mess up the ftp server and
make very clear that those binary versions are without official support, it might
actually alleviate the developers.

Bert

Dr. Bert de Groot

Theoretical molecular biophysics group
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen, Germany

tel: +49-551-2011306, fax: +49-551-2011089

email: bgroot at gwdg.de
http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/abteilungen/071/bgroot