[gmx-users] binary distro for platforms other than linux?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 4 19:45:26 CET 2002

Bert de Groot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Patrick Ladam wrote:
> >
> > Hi again,
> >
> > Thank you Erik, Anton and David for your answers, thanks to you I have made
> > progresses and
> > am almost done compiling GMX 3.1.
>
> to prevent (some of) these problems it might be a good idea to have binary
> distributions for some of the more common platforms? I can understand that
> the core developers don't want to spend time on this, and actually they shouldn't:
> it would be much better that they spend their time on actual development. But perhaps
> it would be possible to create a section on e.g. the gromacs ftp server where
> other users could occasionally upload a binary version of gromacs that they compiled
> on their favourite OS? I could volunteer and supply SGI and DEC/alpha versions
> from time to time. The only drawbacks that I can see are lack of organization
> and lack of support, but if we all take care and do NOT mess up the ftp server and
> make very clear that those binary versions are without official support, it might
> actually alleviate the developers.

Hi Bert,

That would be a splendid idea. I just have to think of a way we can doing it without
having a completely open upload area that would be filled with warez & pornography
instead ;-)

Maybe I could create a more-or-less public ftp account with a password that we mail to
anyone who's interested in contributing...

Cheers,

Erik