[gmx-users] binary distro for platforms other than linux?

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Tue Mar 5 10:07:32 CET 2002

Erik Lindahl wrote:

> Bert de Groot wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Patrick Ladam wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi again,
> > >
> > > Thank you Erik, Anton and David for your answers, thanks to you I have made
> > > progresses and
> > > am almost done compiling GMX 3.1.
> >
> > to prevent (some of) these problems it might be a good idea to have binary
> > distributions for some of the more common platforms? I can understand that
> > the core developers don't want to spend time on this, and actually they shouldn't:
> > it would be much better that they spend their time on actual development. But perhaps
> > it would be possible to create a section on e.g. the gromacs ftp server where
> > other users could occasionally upload a binary version of gromacs that they compiled
> > on their favourite OS? I could volunteer and supply SGI and DEC/alpha versions
> > from time to time. The only drawbacks that I can see are lack of organization
> > and lack of support, but if we all take care and do NOT mess up the ftp server and
> > make very clear that those binary versions are without official support, it might
> > actually alleviate the developers.
>
> Hi Bert,
>
> That would be a splendid idea. I just have to think of a way we can doing it without
> having a completely open upload area that would be filled with warez & pornography
> instead ;-)
>
> Maybe I could create a more-or-less public ftp account with a password that we mail to
> anyone who's interested in contributing...

Sounds great. It is also reminiscent of how I first got GROMACS working
here in Amsterdam: copied the Groningen binaries... ;-)

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "I'm Gonna Get Medieval On Your Ass" (Pulp Fiction)       |