[gmx-users] configure error with myrinet mpicc

Bert de Groot bgroot at gwdg.de
Wed Mar 6 11:26:16 CET 2002

Erik Lindahl wrote:

> OK - the problem here is almost certainly that 'mpicc' invokes an older
> version of your compiler (or a different compiler).

as far as I can see, mpicc invokes the normal (and only) gcc that is
installed (gcc 2.95.3):

coffee:>less mpicc

CCBASE="gcc"
CLINKERBASE="gcc"

> And, just to make sure - when you say that gcc compiles it ok, it also
> produces an object file with a new timestamp?

yep

> The best option is to check the mpicc wrapper (it's probably a script)
> or reinstall mpi to make sure the mpi compiler is the same version as
> your normal compiler - this will avoid problems with other programs too.
>
> If that doesn't work you might be able to fool the make system this way,
> but I do recommend you to fix the compiler instead :-)

well, for some reason (that I couldn't figure out so far), the mpicc script
messes up the compiler, such that it cannot handle assembler code anymore.

I circumvented this now by applying Justin's trick (which gets rid of mpicc
alltogether and adds the mpi includes/libraries manually):

setenv MPICC gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-I/home/gm/include -I/home/gm/binary/include
                 -I/home/mpich/include"

setenv LDFLAGS "-L/home/gm/binary/lib -L/home/mpich/lib"

setenv LIBS "-lmpich -lgm"

cheers,

Bert

Dr. Bert de Groot

Theoretical molecular biophysics group
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen, Germany

tel: +49-551-2011306, fax: +49-551-2011089

email: bgroot at gwdg.de
http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/abteilungen/071/bgroot