[gmx-users] lipid.itp with gromacs3.1.4

Vincent Lemaitre vincent.lemaitre at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 30 12:50:48 CET 2002

Hi Xu,

This has already been discussed on the mailing list... search using
lipid and Tieleman as key words.

Hi all,

Marc Baaden's warning about the somewhat unexpected behavior of grompp
when
having multiple atomtypes and non-bonded entries applies to using
lipid.itp
too. In the way I set it up, the LJ interaction matrix in the GROMOS
based
force fields (ffgmx in this case) is overwritten with standard
combination
rules. I don't yet know what the effect is of this. It means the force
field
isn't used the way it was designed. On the other hand, nearly all
published
simulations on membrane proteins with gromacs will have used the
combination
rules for the protein part instead of the GROMOS values, often without
disastrous consequences.

To use the protein-protein GROMOS LJ parameters, the contents of
lipid.itp
should be copied into the ffgmx* files as Marc described. It should be
possible to test the differences on simulations of high-resolution
membrane
protein structures.

Peter

--
Dr. D.P. Tieleman, Assistant Professor, AHFMR Scholar
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary