[gmx-users] g_rmsf residue average

Byungchan Kim bk385 at columbia.edu
Tue Dec 30 23:47:01 CET 2003

Hi Folks.

I got strange output from g_rmsf. I picked only main chain atoms from
standard input. First I ran g_rmsf without -res and got
rmsf of each main chain atom. Then I ran the program with -res to get
average rmsf for each residue.
But the result of the residue averaged values look same as the value of
Oxygen of main chain of each residue, not averaged for main chain atoms. I
mean the -res doesn't seem to work. Are there any special treatments for
using g_rmsf and -res or did I make any mistake?
Thanks and Happy new year.

Byungchan Kim

P.S. commandline which I ran
1. g_rmsf -f 4pti.trj.xtc
2. g_rmsf -f 4pti.trj.xtc -res

output files
1.
# This file was created by g_rmsf
# which is part of G R O M A C S:
# Great Red Oystrich Makes All Chemists Sane
# All this happened at: Tue Dec 30 17:29:58 2003
#
@    title "RMS fluctuation"
@    xaxis  label "Atom"
@    yaxis  label "(nm)"
@TYPE xy
    1   0.1294
    2   0.1094
    3   0.0912
    4   0.0995
    5   0.0780
    6   0.0702
    7   0.0633
    8   0.0693
    9   0.0623
   10   0.0618
   11   0.0535
   12   0.0598
   13   0.0502
   14   0.0484
   15   0.0457
   16   0.0520
   17   0.0447
   18   0.0465
   19   0.0457
   20   0.0522
   21   0.0457
   22   0.0481
   23   0.0493
   24   0.0668
   25   0.0466
   26   0.0480
   27   0.0462
   28   0.0504
   29   0.0470
   30   0.0457
   31   0.0416
   32   0.0474
   33   0.0415
   34   0.0438
   35   0.0418
   36   0.0574
   37   0.0412
   38   0.0424
   39   0.0358
   40   0.0389
   41   0.0376
   42   0.0350
   43   0.0363
   44   0.0416
   45   0.0438
   46   0.0507
   47   0.0528
   48   0.0615
   49   0.0580
   50   0.0678
   51   0.0664
   52   0.0851
   53   0.0587
   54   0.0585
   55   0.0585
   56   0.0638
   57   0.0683
   58   0.0770
   59   0.0743
   60   0.1273
   61   0.0745
   62   0.0658
   63   0.0641
   64   0.0757
   65   0.0627
   66   0.0696
   67   0.0627
   68   0.0833
   69   0.0508
   70   0.0467
   71   0.0422
   72   0.0495
   73   0.0429
   74   0.0429
   75   0.0416
   76   0.0559
   77   0.0368
   78   0.0354
   79   0.0352
   80   0.0428
   81   0.0370
   82   0.0358
   83   0.0345
   84   0.0399
   85   0.0358
   86   0.0341
   87   0.0336
   88   0.0405
   89   0.0339
   90   0.0341
   91   0.0356
   92   0.0412
   93   0.0406
   94   0.0470
   95   0.0505
   96   0.0560
   97   0.0617
   98   0.0719
   99   0.0756
  100   0.0904
  101   0.0749
  102   0.0837
  103   0.0845
  104   0.1136
  105   0.0730
  106   0.0754
  107   0.0729
  108   0.0892
  109   0.0640
  110   0.0679
  111   0.0619
  112   0.0742
  113   0.0541
  114   0.0529
  115   0.0437
  116   0.0479
  117   0.0430
  118   0.0406
  119   0.0421
  120   0.0602
  121   0.0386
  122   0.0401
  123   0.0387
  124   0.0458
  125   0.0425
  126   0.0402
  127   0.0388
  128   0.0469
  129   0.0372
  130   0.0364
  131   0.0342
  132   0.0418
  133   0.0365
  134   0.0374
  135   0.0349
  136   0.0422
  137   0.0384
  138   0.0349
  139   0.0336
  140   0.0414
  141   0.0354
  142   0.0419
  143   0.0441
  144   0.0564
  145   0.0433
  146   0.0524
  147   0.0540
  148   0.0695
  149   0.0486
  150   0.0536
  151   0.0518
  152   0.0529
  153   0.0584
  154   0.0623
  155   0.0574
  156   0.0718
  157   0.0552
  158   0.0537
  159   0.0541
  160   0.0701
  161   0.0471
  162   0.0466
  163   0.0455
  164   0.0537
  165   0.0459
  166   0.0478
  167   0.0435
  168   0.0565
  169   0.0387
  170   0.0354
  171   0.0342
  172   0.0422
  173   0.0366
  174   0.0349
  175   0.0375
  176   0.0582
  177   0.0359
  178   0.0375
  179   0.0383
  180   0.0422
  181   0.0440
  182   0.0488
  183   0.0527
  184   0.0691
  185   0.0497
  186   0.0528
  187   0.0498
  188   0.0521
  189   0.0523
  190   0.0517
  191   0.0494
  192   0.0530
  193   0.0534
  194   0.0584
  195   0.0549
  196   0.0619
  197   0.0533
  198   0.0546
  199   0.0470
  200   0.0532
  201   0.0419
  202   0.0388
  203   0.0397
  204   0.0459
  205   0.0435
  206   0.0534
  207   0.0567
  208   0.0741
  209   0.0535
  210   0.0600
  211   0.0576
  212   0.0747
  213   0.0485
  214   0.0503
  215   0.0487
  216   0.0601
  217   0.0455
  218   0.0514
  219   0.0678
  220   0.1093
  221   0.0640
  222   0.0844
  223   0.0885
  224   0.1352
  225   0.1126
  226   0.1480
  227   0.1805
  228   0.2076
  229   0.2326
  230   0.2986
  231   0.3422
  232   0.3870
  233   0.3786

2.
# This file was created by g_rmsf
# which is part of G R O M A C S:
# GRoups of Organic Molecules in ACtion for Science
# All this happened at: Tue Dec 30 17:23:35 2003
#
@    title "RMS fluctuation"
@    xaxis  label "Residue"
@    yaxis  label "(nm)"