[gmx-users] Athlon cluster experience

Jay Mashl mashl at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 19 14:06:49 CET 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Erik Lindahl wrote:

> On Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003, at 22:18 US/Pacific, Lynne E. Bilston wrote:
>
> > Justin,
> >
> > My dual Athlon cluster is about 10 months old (dual 1800MP processors
> > on a tyan MB). lm_sensors gives a temperature of about 49-55 degrees C
> > when running both processors on a job. Idling is about 42-45C. Yours
> > do seem a bit hot by those standards.
> >
> > I did initially have some problems with jobs quitting due to
> > overheating. It turned out our AC system was being switched off at
> > night. IHow warm is the room your cluster is in?
> >
> > Let me know if you want more info on my lm_sensors setup or output.
> >
> > -Lynne
> >
> Hi,
>
> A couple of months ago I created a small CPU burn-in (i.e. heater :-)
> program - it should be available on the contributions page at
> www.gromacs.org.
>
> Just for fun, I actually started writing a really tight assembly loop
> with SSE instructions, but when I installed LM-sensors according to
> Lynne's instructions I surprisingly found out that the first version
> ran colder than a normal Gromacs simulation (although it was hotter
> than any other burn-in program on the net.)
>
> I'm pretty sure this is because the Gromacs innerloops use both the SSE
> and integer parts of the CPU (and the cache & memory), so I simply
> wrote a new version with a very small program that calls one of the
> Gromacs innerloops, tweaking the neighborlists to make it as hot as
> possible.
>
> It probably runs 1-2 degrees hotter than normal Gromacs, but the main
> difference is that the results are compared with a "vanilla" C loop,
> and if there are any random changes during the run I print an error
> message.
>
> I didn't find any errors when I ran this for a week on a dozen of our
> nodes, but I've heard rumors that some versions of Athlon MP have
> problems with SMP synchronization. I have NO idea whether this is true,
> but it might be worth to test
>
> 1. The burn-in program.
> 2. Consistency of SMP vs. non-SMP runs.
> 3. Different versions of LAM, and check if there really are any
> reported problems...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Erik

I see behavior similar to what Justin sees, even on a standalone workstation.
The BIOS reports a similar idle temperature.  What happens is that the network
suddenly disappear, and the video signal is present but shows no image.

I have done a little testing with another number crunching program as well;
there, the use of two threads always will eventually lock up the machine,
whereas using one thread doesn't crash the machine.

I've recently done some gromacs runs of a certain system with dual threads.
When I let it run overnight in a warm office, the machine has always locked up
but at all different times after the start of the run.  However when I am using
the console, it doesn't crash.

My thinking had been that the problem was mostly heat related, perhaps trigger
by software, but I believe interactive use introduces enough idle/delay cycles
so as to allow the cpus to "cool" just enough so as to avoid a crash.

In addition to Erik's enumeration, I would like to add that any systematic
testing could look at

  4.  SMP 1.1 vs. 1.4 mode in the BIOS
  5.  BIOS APIC support
  6.  Athlon optimized vs. i386 LAM