[gmx-users] More Athlon talk

Justin MacCallum jlmaccal at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 19 20:28:51 CET 2003

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all of the responses. Here is some more info.

- All machines are dual MP 2200+ on Tyan Tiger MP 2466 motherboards.
- All machines have registered PC-266 DDR Ram.
- All machines are running MPS 1.1 instead of 1.4. We've had lots of
problems with this on our PIII machines. They don't seem to like 1.4 at
all.
- The crashes happen with two single processor jobs. We actually didn't
have lam setup on the machines for the first while and were still having
problems.

*** Two of the machines have reported processor mismatch errors on
rebooting. This leads us to believe that they are overheated to the
point that they don't work at all. After cooling off for a while they
boot fine.

So in summary, I think we have a serious cooling problem, although it is
disturbing to see other people having problems when the temperature is
fine... I guess we'll buy xeons next time :)

Justin