[gmx-users] Question

ynzhao at stanford.edu ynzhao at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 28 20:54:00 CET 2003

Hi,

I am using gromacs but I don't have much background of linux, I met
some errors recently.

I changed something in my makefile.am in gmxlib,
I need to make again and for this reason I downloaded autoconf and
automake form ftp.gnu.org, for each version, they will have ***.tar.gz
and ***.tar.bz2, was I right to just use the former?

then I untarred them, configure, make, make install, I guess I should
also run them, was I right to just type autoconf or automake in their
directories?

I was using 2.57 version, but I met this error

aclocal.m4:46: error: Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required
aclocal.m4:46: the top level

Can I know why?

Actually last time I didn't meet this error (or I forgot to really run
autoconf?), but anyway when I eventually went back to my gromacs
directory and tried to make everthing, this error was

configure: error: conditional "am__fastdepCXX" was never defined.
Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.

Has anybody met it before? Have I done anything wrong in certain step?

Thanks

Yanan