[gmx-users] Desktop computer for simulations and visualisation

Dallas Warren dallas.warren at vcp.monash.edu.au
Fri May 16 02:40:01 CEST 2003

Was just looking for people's opinion on an idea I have.

Currently I use an old O2 for visualisation of my trajectories etc. using
VMD.  With the number of atoms that I am getting to now, that is getting to
be a bit too much for it.  So I am looking to get something that can
display things much more smoothly and faster.  Additionally, as all MD
people are inclined, more CPU time to use would be nice.

So the idea is to get one of the current fastest dual (or quad?) processor
PC, run Linux, then use it for visualisation as well as running some
simulations.  I was thinking something like Xeon or Athlon (have to look at
the extra speed etc for the extra cost), fastest card that VMD can work
with etc.

Are there any problems with that, from a technical or implementation view
point?  Or is this something that some people already do?

Of course there is all the issues to do with actual components, which one,
expense versus performance etc, but that is the next step :-)

I have noticed from discussions on this list that most people run the
Athlon in their clusters.  From the sound of it you get good bang for your
buck.  I also know that the couple of super computers I have CPU time on
down here use either Xeon or Alphaservers.  What about the Opteron (AMD)?

Ahh, the joy and confusion of purchasing a computer ;-)

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy
Monash University
381 Royal Parade
Parkville VIC 3010