[gmx-users] sridhar: How to include topologies for unusual/phosphorylated residues occurring within the protein chain.

Paul Barrett barrett at biop.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 16 11:05:01 CEST 2003

Using Grahams force field sounds like a good idea. However if you want
to do it yourself here is how I did it for phosphorylated Threonine.

1) open the appropriate .rtp file e.g. ffG43a1.rtp
2) make a copy of the existing entry for the residue you want to
phosphorylate it.

here are the notes I made as I did it...comments welcome if anyone
doesnt like how I did it!

; TPO which follows is phosphorylated Threonine and was derived thus:
; 1) take THR entry
; 2) add P, O1P, O2P, O3P atoms
; 3) remove HG1 atom
; 4) assign partial charges to give an overall molecule -2 charge
;     with this charge localised on the Phosphate group.
; 5) add bonds for OG1 to P and the OxPs. took bond tpyes from [ DADE ]
; 6) likewise took angle types from [ DADE ]
; 7) removed final dihedral which contained H1 (had considered changing
it for
;     P but dont want to limit Phoshphate group too much)

3) you will need to add the new residue to the file aminoacids.dat if
you want the residue to be recognised as part of the protein in
subsequent analysis. Make sure you increment the count on the top line
of aminoacids.dat. dont put any comments in aminoacids.dat becuase it
has unpredictable effects on results.
4) update the hydrogen database entry too if you are expecting pdb2gmx
or protonate to work properly.

I *think* that was it...!

Below is the full text for the phosphorylated Threonine from my
ffG43a1.rtp

Paul Barrett
University of Oxford
Dept of Biochemistry