[gmx-users] GROMACS in parallel on Dual CPU Linux machine

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Tue May 20 02:39:00 CEST 2003

Hi Pratul,

I think most dual AMD motherboards require registered ECC DDR memory.
Or rather: the vendors don't support any other configuration. Are you
sure you have something else?

If you get the machine running and the memory seems ok (try the
excellent program memtest86) I don't think Gromacs will have any
special issues with it.

One idea that just struck me is that there might be issues with memory
references when both CPUs access the same memory region on dual Athlon
boxes, but that is not specific to Gromacs; perhaps the LAM-MPI
developers know these things better...

Are your problems repeatable or purely random?

Cheers,

Erik