[gmx-users] gromacs-mpi bandwidth requirements

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed Aug 11 23:22:22 CEST 2004

    I have several dual processor Xeon boxes available on which
I have installed lam 7.0.6 and gromacs-mpi 3.2.1. These boxes
are currently connected via full-duplex fast ethernet. What is
the bandwidth requirements of gromacs-mpi for typical md
simulations? Would I see a major improvement in gromacs-mpi
performance if I switched the LAM over onto gigabit ethernet?
Or are the md simulations typically cpu bound rather than
io bound? Thanks in advance for any clarifications.
                     Jack Howarth